- 3 medium red onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves or some dried oregano or some thyme
- 3 0r 4 flat cap mushrooms or the equivalent volume of chestnut or button mushrooms – chopped or finely sliced
- Optional a few dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 15-20 minutes
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 glass white or red wine wine
- salt and pepper
- Chilli flakes (optional, to taste)
Mince or finely chop the onions, carrots, garlic and celery (I use a food processor) and sauté in a good lug of olive oil with the herbs for around 15 minutes until translucent. Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate (around 10 minutes).
Add the mushrooms (both fresh and dried) and the tomatoes. Season to taste and cook, slowly for an hour, (longer is good too).
Serve on pasta or use to make lasagne.